Sunday, March 2, 2008

Litererary moment

In high school, I like to think that I did pretty good in English, mostly writing, but never could understand poetry or keep my mind from wandering to other more important thoughts (boys) to stay focussed on literature, especially the obscure stuff.
Then came college and a professor by the name of Donald (can't remember his last name). His enthusiasm for poetry and literature was contagious and suddenly I was hooked.
One that stuck with me all this time is James Joyce's book of stories "Dubliners". While most stories taken as they are can be rather quite boring, but when disectected to pieces, you come to realize that James Joyce is a genius and the stories are fantastic.
Every winter I think of the particular short story called "The Dead" because it takes place in winter and the last line goes like this:

"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

When I lived in Fort Augustus, there was a cemetery across the street and after every snowfall I thought of this line about the snow falling on all the living and the dead. Indeed snow does not discriminate, it just is everywhere, doesn't matter who you are.

Most of the time, I do love winter and I love seeing snow fall and a sea of white everywhere. Today, it is snowing again and we have high winds up to 100km per hour. Visibility is pretty bad. I have been cooped up in the house for 2 days and my butt is numb from sitting on the couch all day. Nathan hasn't had a decent nap all day, he will only sleep for a little bit at a time, never long enough for me to get anything done. There is a basket of laundry in the living room that remains unfolded cause I can't get away from him long enough to do it. Lucas is storm stayed at his dad's and I miss him......

So I guess my point is now that I wish this !#$%^&^&* snow would for once just fall on the dead and leave the living alone...... I need to get out of the house before I become one of those dead....
I just want winter to go away, I have had enough..... I want heat and lots of it. I want sunshine, I want a tan, I want to garden, I want to see flowers and hear the waves at the beach. I want to sit on my deck and read a book, I want to take the kids to the park, I want to lay in a hammock shaded by the leaves on the trees. I want to complain about June bugs, earwigs and mosquitos, I want to drive my car with the windows down and the music blaring...... I want ice cream!

*sigh*.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well you need to come HERE and check out OUR snow... :) then you would appreciate yours!

Anonymous said...

ooooo literature & snow in one post, i am loving it :) cheer up ... few more months to go ...