Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Memorable Firsts

As I embark on another journey of firsts with Nathan.... first smile, first word, first steps, first day at school, first love etc.... it has made me reflect on the memorable firsts in my life. While I don't remember most before age 8, there have been many others after.

As I look back on my life, while there were a few scattered memories before age 8, I can't be sure if they are actual memories or if I just think I remember them because I have heard my parents or grand parents tell me about it so often. For me, it's like my life started the summer of 1980 at age 9. On September 2nd of that year, my cousin Maria was hit and killed by a truck here in Stratford. She was 4. I think because it was so traumatic to me that everything else before it faded away and that became the beginning of my memories. Because it's a rather depressing and sad subject, I won't dwell on it any further, but I do think it has been the event that would define the rest of my life. I think of her all the time and will carry her in my heart forever.

On a more positive side....let me talk about boys..... cause they certainly were a major part of my life for as long as I can remember. To say I was (and still am) boy crazy would be an understatement, although the last 15 years have been a little more tame.... we all have to grow up sometime.... There was my very first love..... Mario Laforme..... I was 6, he live across the street, I always thought I'd end up marrying him. Well at least until I turned 8 and met Steven Canning...... and then came Grade 7 (Sec. 1) and my very dear Gino Garneau. He and I had a love-hate relationship right up until graduation! Most days I worshipped the ground he walked on, until he pissed me off and I hated him..... He was my first real "date", we went to see Flashdance at the movies. Some of my old classmates may remember this as I believe they were all there a few rows back to witness this and torment me for the rest of high school. Everytime I hear a song from Flashdance, I am 12 again and nervous and awkward and would love to just go back all those years and do things a bit differently.....

First kiss..... September 13, Friday, St-Tite, Festival Western, Denis Boivin..... Why I didn't marry this man, I'll never know......

First real boyfriend...... summer of 1987..... Lac Des Piles...... Philippe Marchand..... an incredible summer like every teenage girl should experience.

First obsession..... Ste-Foy, Qc.... 1989-91.... Glen McKinnon...... Someone should have really taken me to seek counselling..... I was truly obsessed with Glen and he barely knew I existed.

Then came PEI and my first "boyfriend" here was Kevin Clow. Kevin, if you happen to read this, know that I thought you were really hot. I might have become a little obsessive with you as well and I'm sorry about that. To this day, the name Kim Albert makes my skin crawl.....

After it was Kent, who was my first real long term serious relationship. It lasted 7 years and out of it came Lucas. No matter what, I will never regret one minute of it cause in the end came my first born son. Life has only gotten better since the day he was born.

OK, now on to another subject, how bout first intoxication.... I remember this night quite well also. Lisa, Marie-Claude, you may as well.... It was Grade 7, a party at Marie-Claude's, me drinking all of Lisa's wine then feeling bad about it and breaking into drunken tears..... what a sight it must have been. Lisa I'm sorry for drinking all your wine! MC - you had great parties! That was the first of many I was to enjoy at your place!

Other memorable firsts..... First trip to France for the 60th of D-Day, that trip opened my eyes to a whole new world........ men in uniform........... like I needed another obsession..... there I met Luc, a man in uniform, who I must say wears it quite well. He lets me obsess over him and hasn't run away yet. Of course he very quickly volounteered to go to Afghanistan... hmmmm...
Anyway, I'll try not to take it personally. Thanks Luc for letting me obsess over you for the past almost 4 years. You're a little hottie and I know you know it.

Well, I could go on for days with other memorable firsts but I'm sure I would lose your interest if I haven't already.....

To my boys, I wish you to have many many memorable firsts, most I'm sure you won't share with me until you are old enough to no longer get in trouble.... and that's ok.... I am actually cringing at the fact that my dad will be reading about my first intoxication.....

I'd love to hear from you all, tell me what your memorable firsts are.....

Now I take my newborn son for his first professional pictures at WalMart. The first of many to come I am sure.....

Jo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... you just remember way too many things. especially anything having to do with boyfriends. hehehe

Anonymous said...

Wow mama Jo, you never cease to amaze me. You bring me back to memory lane and my list of first! Talking about lists: Did not read abour our first France List:-))
Very happy of your family. Can't wait to see your the little one's First Pics at Walmart.
You have quite an amazing memeory my friend. Keep those "neuronnes" working.
Sally