Friday, December 23, 2011

My spirited child....

I am the mother of a spirited child.  For those of you out there with one, you know what I mean.  I am the one who looks disheveled, tired and on edge most of the time.  I am the one you stare at in the supermarket as my spirited child throws himself on the floor screaming because I won`t get him what he wants.  I am the one who is always running as my child escapes me the moment he can to go where he wants to go.  I am the one you frown at when you see me carrying my child and he has no socks or boots on in mid-winter.  Trust me, he does own a pair, he just doesn`t want to wear them, and sometimes, it`s just not worth the battle.  I am the mother with the kids who may or may not have a clean face or clean clothes..... heck, I don`t even know if I brushed my own teeth this morning let alone theirs!  I am the one who sounds like a raving lunatic as I try hard to keep my voice low when all I want to do is scream at the top of my lungs for him to listen to me. I am the one trying hard to refrain from beating my car with a baseball bat because my kid doesn`t want to get in his carseat. I am the one who drives by the psych ward and wonders if it will soon be my new home.  I am the one who thinks being an alcoholic may not be such a bad idea...... I am the one who wolfs down an entire box of chocolate so I can make it through the day!  I am the one who will drive around for 2 hours while my kids sleep in the back seat because I so need the break. I am the one who looks at my sleeping children and wonders how such sweet angels can exhaust me so..... I am the one who is in bed at 8pm cause I need all the sleep I can get to make it through another day.....

To any of you out there who think you might have a spirited child, do yourself a favour and buy the book `Raising your spirited child`` by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka.... lots of good tips in there for keeping your cool and diffusing a situation before it happens.

I just may have to reread it for the next 20 years or so....

I love you my children.....

No comments: