Monday, January 7, 2008

15 years ago.....


I've been thinking a lot lately about how things have changed in the last 15 years since I moved here. Some were good changes, but a few I do miss. I thought I'd compile a list of things that have changed and how it has affected me. I apologize for non Islanders who just won't get this post.....


I must first start out by saying that I was a huge Haywire fan in the 80's. My dear uncle Reg taught Dave Rashed in school and had even once given him my phone number so he could call me during one of his stops in Québec. Well, let me tell you, I would have to say that was the highlight of my 14 years on Earth at the time! I suddenly became the most popular girl in my class!! So when deciding to move here, I secretly looked forward to finally meeting the man who had unknowlingly been the greatest thing in the life of a 14 year old girl. I imagined he would feel the same about me and we would get married, have a dozen or so kids and live happily ever after...... alas, as most teenage fantasies, this one didn't come true either. I have been on PEI 15 years and have yet to see Dave Rashed. I have been lucky enough to meet Paul MacAusland. And I must use the term "meet" quite loosely. If I recall correctly it was one night, perhaps around 2am at the corner of Kent and Prince, a friend and I were crossing the street and he was crossing the other way. Once we were safely across, I turned around and yelled "Hi Paul!!" and so, that was our meeting...... I hope it was as meaningful for him as it was for me!


Anyway, here is what I miss:


1. Tradewinds wing nights, seriously, no wing can compare to that of Tradewinds

2. The Playhouse.... was that not the best club ever??!!

3. Black Cat Bone..... The club band of the early 90's featuring Joey Kitson as singer. I swear when he belted out "Brown Eyed Girl" I knew he sang about me......

4. The nachos at Father's..... I have yet to find a platter of nachos to beat it.

5. KMart..... ah, good old KMart! My social life for most of the 90's.

6. The ferry to New Brunswick..... nothing like a break 30 minutes after leaving home. Oh and those hotdogs were pretty good too!

7. Country music. I think the 90's were really the highest time for country music on PEI. I had never heard a country song until I moved here. My tape collection included such artists as Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, Pink Floyd...... who the heck was Garth Brooks anyway.... but like everything else on PEI, it kind of grew on me after a while.

8. My collection of parking tickets at UPEI..... oddly it got replaced by parking tickets downtown, I have a good collection of those too.


Well, I guess that's enough reminiscing for now.....

1 comment:

JennP said...

oh my gawd have you seen the hair????

didn't *I* answer the phone when he called? that black phone in the hallway at grams?