Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Dietary Concern


Two years ago, I made a huge transformation in the way I eat. I went from the SAD (Standard American Diet) to the Raw and Living Foods way of life. After making this change I felt better about myself, I had more energy and I lost 50lbs. While somedays were difficult watching people eat the foods I used to love, most days were ok. I ate a ton of fruits and vegetables, drank lots of water, I quit drinking coffee, pop, alcohol and generally anything that was bad for me. I made my own fruit and vegetable juices in my juicer, had smoothies almost everyday packed with such things as hemp seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds and greens as well as the frozen fruits, a banana and water.


Now while I was raw for 5 months, travelling to France for work made it difficult for me to stay completely raw as they hardly have anything vegetarian, let alone completely raw, so I went off the wagon. However I have always remained a vegetarian and have not once had a drink of alcohol in 2 years.


The one thing that has really aggravated me was the sudden concern from everyone around me as to was I getting everything I need: B12, protein, calcium etc. etc. etc......


I find it funny that when on the SAD, no one once questionned me as to if I was eating enough fruits or veggies or getting enough calcium. I guess one just assumes that if I'm eating barbequed cow on a bun that I must be getting everything I need because of course meat is the most nutritious food on the planet and if you are eating it, then you must be healthy!! What crap is that?


Anyway, once this baby is out, I plan on going back on raw foods because I believe in it and it made me feel so much better, plus I now have a bunch of weight to lose again.


So, if you must know, 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds contains 12g of protein, 1/3 cup almonds contains 9g protein, 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds contains 18g of protein. 1/4 cup of sesame seeds contains 35% of the daily value of calcium, 2tblsp of Hemp Seeds contain 11g protein and 20% dv iron. I get my good fats from such things as avocados, nuts, seeds and olive oil, fruits and veggies and greens in their raw uncooked state contain all the vitamins and minerals I could ever need.

The only concern I guess is still the B-12 which apparently comes mostly in the form of meat, dairy and egg. So I take a vitamin supplement of B-12 and also get some from nutritional yeast.

I must also point out that since going raw and then vegetarian, I don't remember getting sick, maybe a cough and runny nose at some point, but that's about it.


If any of you wish to know more about Raw and living foods, there are many websites and books available. My favourites are from Storm and Jingee - http://www.thegardendiet.com/ , http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/ and http://www.hacres.ca/ . There are so many wonderful recipes that can be made with raw and living foods, it's almost overwhelming. I've tried some and even brought many to work to have coworkers sample. Most were a hit! I think the best were the coconut fudge and the date balls, which I look forward to making again.

Once I get back into it full time, I'll post some of my best recipes. I've written some down but can't find my book.


In the meantime, please don't be concerned about my daily intake of vitamins, minerals and other stuff, chances are, I'm getting more than you are on the SAD lifestyle.




2 comments:

Les said...

You know during my year off mat leave I thought about you and RAW a lot because I was seriously looking at my way of eating - and knew it just wasn't any good. Now, while I'm not ready to go raw, or even completely vegetarian, I have made a conscious effort to consume less red meats (at least) and have found that when I focus my meals more around the vegetables as the entree rather than the side dish, I feel better about myself mentally and physically.

Definately some days are better than others, but that shift in mind set (meat as the side dish, veggies/fruit as the main dish) has helped me lose weight too.

Good for you for sticking to your guns Johanne!

JennP said...

oh also try this site:
www.rawfoodtalk.com

thats alissa's site... they have a good message board on there